We Will help you reach this milestone.
The Alagiri Immigration Law Firm: 15+ Years’ Experience as a Firm
For the past 15 years, The Alagiri Immigration Law Firm has helped numerous clients achieve their immigration goals, many of which involved becoming a U.S. Citizen. Coming from a family of immigrants, founding attorney Priya Alagiri understands the importance and the difficulties of obtaining citizenship. Our firm is here to provide guidance and support as you navigate through this life-changing process. We prioritize your needs and maintain open communication throughout the entire process. You can count on us to provide personalized legal services backed by our high standards.
Who Is Eligible for U.S. Citizenship?
There are many requirements for those who wish to be U.S. citizens. Once all the requirements are met and the application is approved, the applicant can become a U.S. citizen after taking the Oath of Allegiance.
The requirements to become a U.S. citizen include:
- You must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- You must have taken up residence in the United States for a minimum of five years (without absences of six months or longer).
- If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you must have taken up continuous residence for a minimum of three years.
- You must have been physically present in the United States for a minimum of 30 months.
- If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you must have been physically present in the United States for a minimum of 18 months.
- You must have lived in the district where you will file for naturalization at least three months prior to filing.
- You must show “good moral character.” Prior to criminal acts or lying and misrepresentation will be considered on this point.
- You must demonstrate a knowledge of English and correctly answer a number of U.S. government and history questions.
- You must answer questions about your attachment to the U.S. Constitution and willingness to take the Oath of Allegiance in the affirmative.