Alagiri Immigration Law Firm


Discover the K-1 Fiance Visa: Turn "Yes" Into "I Do"!

K-1 Fiance Visa: Love Across Borders!

K-1 Visa is the starting point for the cross-border journey of love with your fiancé(e). Navigating through the K-1 visa process requires meticulous planning and precise document preparation. While the emotional journey is undoubtedly thrilling, the practicalities of bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States demand attention to detail.

The K-1 visa, commonly known as the fiancé visa, permits a foreign fiancé of a U.S. Citizen to travel to the U.S. to marry the U.S. Citizen. The marriage must take place within 90 days after the foreign fiancé (or fiancée for women) arrives in the U.S. After marrying the U.S. Citizen, the foreign citizen can then apply for lawful permanent residence (i.e., a green card).


"Priya is an awesome trust worthy and cost effective attorney! She has a caring aura about her, is smart and experienced in understanding the depth of the case, and offers you options, while guiding you personally through the case cycle."


"Priya and her team have been consistently wonderful over the years that we’ve used them. Unlike other lawyers, Priya has this amazing quality of putting you at ease while remaining professional. Really, can’t thank her enough."

The K-1 Fiance Visa: Say "Yes!" to this Definitive Guide

There are generally three steps to obtaining the K-1 Visa:

Step 1: Petition for Alien Fiancé

The U.S. citizen fiancé files the Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Evidence that the relationship between the U.S. citizen and foreign fiancé is true and genuine is provided with this petition, along with other supporting documentation. Proof that the engaged couple met in person within the last two years is required (with some exceptions).

Step 2: National Visa Center

Once the Form I-129F is approved, it is then forwarded to the U.S. Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC). Additional supporting information is provided to the NVC, such as the U.S. Citizen’s financial information, the foreign fiance’s police clearance letter, and any divorce/death certificates from any previous marriages.

Step 3: Application at U.S. Embassy or Consulate

The NVC then forwards the K-1 visa application package to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the foreign fiancé (or fiancée) will apply for his or her K-1 visa. The foreign fiancé submits such items as identity and civil documents as well as a medical examination to the embassy or consulate. A background check will be conducted and the foreign fiancé will undergo an in-person interview to obtain his or her K-1 visa.

After the successful completion of all three steps, the foreign fiancé will receive the K-1 visa in his or her passport. The visa is valid for approximately 4-6 months and can be used for one entry into the U.S. Within 90 days, the foreign fiancé must marry the same U.S. citizen that filed the Form I-129F. After the marriage, the K-1 visa holder can apply for lawful permanent residence (i.e., a green card) as the spouse of a U.S. citizen.

Speak to a K-1 Visa Immigration Lawyer

At Alagiri Law, we understand the importance of the K-1 visa process for fiancés seeking to unite in the United States. With over 15 years of experience, our dedicated team is committed to providing comprehensive support, ensuring a smooth and understanding journey through the complexities of the immigration process. Your immigration goals are important to us, and we stand ready to assist you at every step. If you and your foreign fiancé are planning a wedding and would like to pursue a fiancé visa, we invite you to contact us

Based in San Mateo, California, The Alagiri Immigration Law Firm provides immigration services throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and worldwide. We look forward to discussing your case with you.

Hear from our clients!