Alagiri Immigration Law Firm

Do Dutch Citizens Need a Visa to Visit the USA?

Do Dutch Citizens Need a Visa to Visit the USA?

As long as they are visiting as a tourist or business (B1) visitor and plan to stay less than 90 days, Dutch Citizens do not need a visa to enter the United States. The Netherlands, like most European Union Countries, is part of the Visa Waiver Program, which means its citizens only need a valid electronic passport* and authorization by the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ETSA) in order to enter the US. If a Dutch citizen is planning to stay in the US for longer than 90 days, or would like to work or study in the United States, then yes, he or she would need to apply for and be approved for the appropriate visa to do so.

The Visa Waiver Program for Dutch or other European Citizens has the same rules as the B1/B2 visitor visa program. For example, like B-visa visitors, Visa Waiver Program visitors are not permitted to engage in employment of any kind while in the US. However, they are permitted to receive honoraria, speaker’s fees, travel reimbursements and other incidental payments for legitimate academic activities.

* An electronic passport or e-Passport, denoted by the symbol e-passport logo, is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. E-Passports are issued by the proper passport issuing authority and must meet international standards for securing and storing information corresponding to the passport and bearer. It typically would include a machine-readable zone on the biographic page and a digital chip containing biometric information about the passport owner. Without an e-passport travelers cannot participate in the Visa Waiver Program.

If you are unsure if you are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, you can apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) system to find out. The ESTA is an automated system that assists in determining eligibility to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and whether such travel poses any law enforcement or security risk. Upon completion of an ESTA application, a traveler is notified of his or her eligibility to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.

Is Electronic System for Travel Authorization a Visa?

No – authorization by the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is not a visa. It does not meet the legal or regulatory requirements to serve in lieu of a U.S. visa when a visa is required under U.S. law. Individuals who possess a valid visa will still be able to travel to the United States on that visa for the purpose for which it was issued. Individuals traveling on valid visas are not required to apply for ESTA.

If you have any questions about travel to the United States, please contact us for help.

Recent Post

6 things you should know about religious asylum
6 Things You Should Know About Religious Asylum in the United States   Recent world news has put...
Read More
Do hotels Sponsor Visas
Do Hotels and other similar types of establishments sponsor visas? If you’re wondering, “Do...
Read More
Can you work for the next company right after you get your H1B
Can you work for the next company right after you get your H1B (i.e. doing a H1B transfer). If so, how...
Read More

Are You Extraordinary?

EB-1A Visa Masterclass:

By Priya Alagiri, ESQ. Founder, The Alagiri Immigration Law Firm

Friday, February 10, 2023, 12 PM, PST on ZOOM

Join me for Part 2 of my EB-1A “Extraordinary Ability” Visa Masterclass! I will discuss the second step of the two-step analysis that USCIS conducts prior to approving an EB-1A application, called the “final merits determination.”