A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

Is It Permissible for a B-1/B-2 Visitor to Enroll in School in the U.S.?

No, in general, B-1/B-2 visa holders are not permitted to attend school in the U.S. In order to attend school, the B-1/B-2 visa holder must apply for a change of status to either an F-1 (academic student) visa or an M-1 (vocational student) visa. However, there are some exceptions. B-1/B-2 visa holders may engage in study that is recreational, casual, short-term or avocational in nature. Minor aged children may also be permitted to attend school if accompanying a parent to the U.S. and is only attending school while the parent is pursuing his or her primary reason for the U.S. visit.