A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

Can a non-US citizen with a visa that doesn't allow employment (like J-1) apply for a work visa without leaving the country?

An individual in J1 status who is subject to the 2 year foreign residency requirement cannot change status to another visa in the U.S. unless a waiver has been granted. This individual would have to apply for a work visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.