A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

Is It Possible to Work on Short-Term Consulting Projects in the U.S. on a b1/b2 Visa?

If you’re coming to the U.S. to perform productive labor, then you would need a work visa like the TN or H-1B visa. If you’re coming simply to meet with clients, obtain information, or other such similar activity, and then will return home to actually perform the work, then you can use the B-1 visa. When you apply for the B-1 visa, you would have to show ties to your home country and be paid in your home country.

If you need to come in for short-term employment, then you can look into applying for the “B-1 in lieu of H-1B” visa, which would permit you to come to the U.S. for a few months as long as you meet the requirements of both the B-1 and H-1B visas. The “B-1 in lieu of H-1B” visa would be an alternative to the TN or H-1B visas.