A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

How Can I Get My H1B Visa Stamp?

How do I get my H1B visa stamp into my passport?

If your H1B was approved while in the U.S. and you leave the U.S., you have to go through the visa stamping process in order to re-enter the U.S. The H1B visa stamp in your passport authorizes you to enter the U.S. in H1B status.

In order to get the visa stamp, you must make an appointment with the US consulate in your home country (you can visit the website for the specific consulate to get instructions on how to make an appointment, what to bring, etc). Among other things, you should bring your entire H1B application to your interview appointment.

It is not possible to obtain an H1B visa stamp within the USA. All H1B visa stamps must be issued by the U.S. consulate outside the US.

H-1B Visa stamping is not automatic. You need to file an H1B petition with USCIS and have that petition approved. Once the petition has been approved, you can schedule an interview, which (depending on where you are from) might take several months so you should plan accordingly. India, for example, often has a 2-3 month wait time.

If you have any further questions about being the H1B visa stamping process, please feel free to contact us and we can help you out.